So Day 1 in brief:
I arrived in Copenhagen yesterday morning after a successful (and luxurious- thanks Carol!) overnight flight. I landed with 2 contact numbers and an address in hand and with the help of friendly locals at the airport, a sweet older lady in my new neighborhood and finally, a new neighbor named Claus, I found my new home for the next 4 months.
While my roommate is out of town for the weekend, his mother, in town for a school presentation, and Ariane, his previous roommate up from Germany for a visit, welcomed me in. Both were incredibly nice and my room setup is cozy and inviting. My other new friend is Perro, a snuggler of a dog, who joined me for a quick nap. Ariane soon became my teacher and tour guide, helping to set me up with a 10 ride Metro card, a home cooked dinner, directions to the University campuses, and my first night out - a few drinks with her friends at a place called the Moose.
Day 2:
Woke up at noon (not too shabby given that's 6a in the states) and said goodbyes to Ariane who left today before setting out to explore the city. My neighborhood is one of several considered within the city of Copenhagen, and an artsy one I do believe. Not too far down the road is an "alternative" community, Christiania, that appears to function like an independent hippie commune with it's own currency, restaurants, artwork and to some extent, laws. The whole community appears to be surrounded by a wooden fence and is marked with a large overhanging wooden sign that reminds me of a summer camp entrance. I've yet to venture inside although I hear everyone is quite friendly.
The central part of the city is a fairly easy walk from the apartment and if it weren't for the cold, I think I could get most anywhere in the city on foot (or much faster by bicycle). But alas, it is cold. Bone chilling cold that makes my toes ache. But the city is so beautiful it's been worth it to explore. Today I found the international office (possibly my new place of work for 5 hrs a week) and the City Campus of the University where I'll have orientation on Monday.
Tomorrow I plan to set out again and explore some of the other areas. I still need to find the campus where I'll have my classes.
More news at some point!
Of the day:
Word (and the only one I know so far) - tak
- means thank you in Danish and goes with a host of other phrases to mean "thanks very much" "thank you for this evening" and others I've yet to learn.
Interesting sight - crying toddler being pulled through the city on a sled and a dog in a camo sweater and booties
Tomorrow's to do - buy warm socks and contemplate my bicycling ability in the snow!

LOVE it!!! Btw, did you mean Pedro or actually Perro? Because Perro means dog in Spanish, hehe. Funny coincidence!
ReplyDeleteMiss you chica! Hope you have a blast =)
-Yoni
Yoni! Nope Perro is it, he was apparently a wild dog in Spain! Hope you are doing well too, miss you too!
ReplyDeleteOh MAN I wished I lived somewhere where I could safely bike again... I miss it! Great pictures, too, by the way... Please update about the hippie commune once you've ventured inside ;) It all sounds far too amazing!
ReplyDelete-Nicole T.
Beautiful pics.Keep them coming! I promise to be your most faithful blog follower, although I expect your Boston contigency to give me some competition for the title.
ReplyDeleteHey Allie,
ReplyDeleteIt's aunt noid and you are not the only one in cold weather. Richmond got a foot of snow and the temp is 13.
Love the pics and hope you have a blast. Be safe and much love
Rach,
ReplyDeleteYou're going down at the hands of some formidable competition. Plus, it's freezing here so there's really nothing else to do then follow my best friend biking through the streets in the midst of a legitimate artic winter.
Alli,
Love the bike idea, but I do imagine that biking in subzero temps is slightly more taxing than gliding up to the local McDonalds on a spring or summer afternoon. Don't let this lessen your enthusiasm, but just thought I'd put it out there for you to chew on. Miss you lots!! Ker
Ker! Would you have responded if Rachel didn't challenge you?? Either way you know i love it. I saw a lady almost wipe out on a bike today and think that, realistically, I should hold off on riding for now. I'm just getting my footing down walking through the snow.
ReplyDeleteMiss everyone lots. And yikes Aunt Noid, 13 degrees- the temp here is 30! Stay warm!
Oh, no - Perro! I feel Otie being jealous all the way from here! And yes, please visit the hippie commune soon - sounds perfect - I can't wait to hear all about it! Stay warm and study hard! Oh! and, ride a bike!!!
ReplyDeleteSo exciting! I will be living vicariously through you for the next 4 months! You are my hero! I love the idea of the hippie commune....and have been thinking about their laws....interesting....
ReplyDeleteLove you! Erin (and Millie really wants to type something, currently throwing a tantrum next to the coffee table giving me the evil eye because I told her it was "mommy's computer" ) I hope she'll forgive me:) hehe
Hmmm...I see that Rachel has yet to comment. We may very well have different expectations surrounding how to be a "most faithful blog follower." Just to be clear, I'm using it to get my stalk on daily if not hourly.
ReplyDeleteAli, do not forget you grew up in a land of strict safety regulations so even though it may be the lamest phrase in danish: bike helmet. Those curly locks need to be protected from ice and snow.
ReplyDeleteKerry, are you questioning my dedication??
Well hello guys!
ReplyDeleteAmy- Otie would be oh so jealous. Perro is currently curled up on my bed and resting his head on the pillow, something Otie is not allowed to do. Miss you guys, will try to stay warm!
Er- I giggled thinking of Millie throwing a tantrum in the likeness of your FB profile pic. I think she was just trying to communicate how much she misses her aunt/cousin allie. Tell her I totally miss her that much too :) love ya
Ker, Rach - You two be funny. Considering I've posted one entry and you've both commented twice (which I love), I'd call you tied for most faithful reader. And Rach it is my public health duty to wear that helmet if I do make it on a bike. I might need more than that with this ice and my skills- helmet, googles, knee & elbow pads- whatever it takes. Man, I'm going to have so many friends here! xo
You must mean since Rachel's posted 3X, she's in the lead
ReplyDeleteSo i will now be getting my adult interaction/entertainment through this blog....love it!
ReplyDeletetest
ReplyDeleteSorry about the test comment. I'm new to blogging or even commenting on blogs (blogs = web logs btw I looked it up) so forgive the low-tech blog skills.
ReplyDeleteCool pictures, did you figure out what that last building is? The name perro= hilarious. I second rach's idea about getting a bike helmet with the roads/walks being icy and snowy. Also in land of socialized medicine it may take 6 weeks to see a neurosurgeon. Love you. Have fun. Erin post a picture of Millie- can you? Everybody deserves that in their life.
P.S. Rach and Kerr, including the "test" comment this makes two.
love the boots! they match the ones my mother gave me:)
ReplyDeleteI'm confused, was the dog (the one who wears clothes and boots), pulling the toddler on the sled? Just baby and dog?
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited to keep reading about your adventures! love you lots! Em C
Kerr, thoughts on the eligibility of a test comment? I'm thinking it doesn't qualify!
ReplyDeleteLove the boots, Ali, and all your pics are beautiful. Keep them coming! I also love the healthy sense of competition your blog has created back in the states.
Ha- J, Perro is hilarious, his name totally fits. Still don't know what the building is but it's in a park...may have something to do with botanical gardens. And Er, send me a photo of Millie and I'll definitely put her on the blog!
ReplyDeleteEm C!!! How have you been? The baby was on the sled, pulled by who I assume is a parent. The dog was in the outfit. Would have been a much better sighting if the dog was pulling the crying baby! Email me, let me know what you're up to please!
Rach- glad I can help stir the pot back home. At 4 comments, dare I say we have a winner?
You dare not say you have a winner if you want everyone to continue to religiously stalk your blog, particularly since you've been so busy snapping photos of bikes that you've neglected to write any new journal entries. I'm in this to win this, so let me lay some ground rules since a certain someone who I won't call out directly isn't playing fair--you know who you are!! Ten word minimum for a journal entry to count.
ReplyDeletePs. Miss you lots. If Denmark has any cherry red bombers, perhaps I'll visit in late spring. From the looks of it though, I suspect cherry red bombers are out and cherry red bicyles may be in...
Ha, Ker! There's that competitive spirit I love. No cherry red bombers sighted as of yet but will be ecstatic if I see one...lots red bikes though I'm sure...
ReplyDeleteAl, I feel I have earned the right to request more detailed entries from you! What new words have you learned since accomplishing "yak"? Fill us in! I hope you are settling in well. Can't wait to hear more about Copenhagen. Hopefully you're staying warm.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Kerr, for the ground rules. Although you and I are fighting (til the death) for the crown, I can appreciate rules and regulations for play.
What's a cherry red bomber? Why the surplus of bikes in Copenhagen? Are there any modifications to the tires to make them more safe in the snow? If you were to fish a bike out of the water, could it be yours? Does Perro respond to Spanish/English/Danish or is he multi-lingual? This is three posts ("test" counts because the rule was made after the post).
ReplyDeleteFew funny stories from the Savannah weekend:
ReplyDelete1) Pat Connor won the Jim Nettles award for the fastest 60+ year old runner in Savannah during the Tybee half marathon. (Ben Mev said he left the starting line like a wild animal.)
2) I took G&G to lunch on Sunday before I flew out. Gma insisted on Arby's because "the Jamocha shakes are sensational." Gpa proceeded to order a large Jamocha shake and 3 egg rolls despite my suggestion that he should order something else so as not to be hungry. He said it was plenty but then he ate most of my fries.
4 posts.
Giggling...oh, I love G&G stories. Mom told me you treated them to Arby's and that you ran a personal best this weekend- congrats!
ReplyDeletePat Connor is phenomenal, I'm glad he was awarded for it.
I don't know what languages Perro responds to but interestingly, you're not the first to ask. He likes to stay near and when he's out he's either on his leash or I just call him by his name, which I think he knows. I haven't asked him to sit or stay, will report back on this.
As for the bikes, I don't know. As I was looking at them, while shivering in the cold, wondering why no gloves or mittens can quite do the trick, I didn't think about attempting to fish them out. Rather, as I noted the proximity of the bike rack from the water's edge which was near, I thought about whether the bikes were dumped in the water or fell in the water. And how sad to come back to retrieve your bike and see it resting at the bottom of the canal. Anyway, I bet its a retrievers keepers deal at this point.
Also, I don't believe there are modifications to tires, just ballsy Danes.
I'll post a photo of the cherry red bomber. It was our good fortune of a rental car that we had while in California for Rachel and Shaw's wedding (yay!) and took us all the way up the coast. We loved it a lot.
Lastly, I found something I wanted to share that might up the appeal of a Copenhagen visit. Did you know Legos were invented by a Dane? LEGO is an abbreviation for two Danish words leg and godt meaning "play well". Here's the REAL LEGOLAND http://www.legoland.dk/?lc=en...think about it!
(apologies for the longest post ever)
ps- Rach has 5 posts.
ReplyDeleteHey wait... I dont understand blogging and just figured out how to leave a comment and really actually get here. Al, so exciting. I will start having to leave lots of posts now by the way to keep up. Al, I wish that we were in the same cold place. By the way, my coat is my best friend this season. Makes me think of you every time I put in on.
ReplyDeleteby the way... oh yes, I am in the game. numero dos...
ReplyDeleteImagine my surprise to check your blog today and find myself looking at the Cherry Red Bomber. I thought I must be in a spectacular dream in which we were bombing through the Danish countryside in style (read: a cherry HHR).
ReplyDeleteI talked to Pat Connor on Sunday, and there was no mention of a race or a victory. I think he may have said something about enjoying a "pleasant morning jog."
Sarah- welcome you! I wish so bad we were in the same cold place, seeking out hygge in all that we do. I'm glad your coat is keeping you warm, no more light jackets on the walk back from the gym :). I wish I had gotten one too. Then we could be twins for reals in our respective chilly cities!
ReplyDeleteKer- your dad did not admit to being awarded the FASTEST 60+ year old IN Savannah?! The modesty just ups the impressiveness. And JT wanted to know what the cherry red bomber was...I couldn't describe it as well as I could show it. I mean really, could you come up with the words?? I guess it would have been a little surprising though, to see yourself and the bomber amid my photos that are almost entirely of snow and/or bikes. Hope you liked it!
I didn't like it-I loved it. As for describing the cherry red bomber, a photo is def best. In a worst case scenario, at least I had imposed a 10 word limit on this blog. You'd need to use at least 10 to get at the splendor that is the HHR.
ReplyDeleteLike Pat Connor, I sustain my initial momentum in any competition, never overconcerning myself with those who sprint out to an early lead but inevitably fall back behind the pack (e.g. Rach). Unlike Pat Connor, I lack any form of modesty. I set out to win this thing, and I'm strategically positioning myself to do just that. I amaze myself again and again.
I hope people know I'm kidding. Well sort of kidding :-)
Oh, Ker, stirring the pot!
ReplyDeleteAlso, JT if you're reading, I just found out some info on the bikes at the bottom of the canal. Drunk people will steal them and toss them in- what rascals!
Of course I'm reading. And posting. I want to make a correction.... PC won the Joe Nettles award not the Jim Nettles.
ReplyDeleteAre the Danes into the Olympics? Apparently they are good at curling, and their only Winter Olympics medal came as a silver in women's curling in 1998.
Also, I think you should go to the Carlsberg brewery there in Copenhagen. It's open T-Su 10a-4p. 60 krones gets you a tour and two free beers. It's Denmark's national beer. Incidentally, Carlsberg sponsors the Liverpool soccer team of the English Premier League. A Carlsberg/Liverpool tshirt would make an excellent gift idea.
I'm not sure if they are. I haven't heard anyone talk about the Olympics and I only just now found it on TV (I didn't see it on over the weekend). Don't know much about the sport of curling either. It looks like they do well with the Summer Olympics with wins in sports like rowing, gymnastics and "sprint canoeing."
ReplyDeleteI've tried 2 different Carlsberg beers now and both were good. I definitely would like to go to the brewery at some point. Apparently microbreweries are getting more and more popular here too- http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/tourist/eat___drink_and_shop/hop_on_the_beer_route/breweries_in_copenhagen.
Good idea on the Tshirt. Dad would probs love one!
Hello sweetie,
ReplyDeleteI love the pictures and the conversations...Hello to all the other bloggers, too! Blog, blog, blog, blog, blog, blog, blog...does that count for 7 blogs???
Hey Mom! And no girl, not since Kerry declared a posting rule. Each post has to A) be separate and B) include at least 10 words. Says Kerry C.
ReplyDeleteGlad to see you on here :)
Baby girl, I was just following along your little blog in supportive silence, but I was blasted the other day about my lack of representation from the other sister g, I am sure we can all conclude who that is. So hence forth, I will declare all my thoughts on your frigid adventure via this platform. Though I have gotten quite a giggle from the previous banters.
ReplyDeleteJust going to put it out there that I think I win, as I will be blogging with you from the D-Mark in t-minus 2 weeks. With that being said, it must be stated, that I do not in fact want to ride a bicycle in Copenhagen, though Legos sound nice. xoxo SG
Such pretty pictures aside from those frightening looking icicles! I particularly like the nerd with her familiar puffy in front of a church. What an impressive mermaid.
ReplyDeleteOh, Cris, good to see you here and better in person in 1.5 weeks :). Don't you worry, there should be no bike riding this trip. Not until the snow melts which I trust won't happen soon. Legos do sound nice though.
ReplyDeleteRach- ha, you recognize that jacket?? I promise you it will not make it this time on a plane back to the US. It's time, I know!
Well, it has taken me a while to get here, what with the cross-country move and all, but I have truly enjoyed catching up on all the pics (especially the bikes - you do like them don't you), witty chitchat and friendly (?) competition. Al, so glad you are having a great time exploring Copenhagen. Although I don't know how you do it in that weather. I just moved everything I hold dear in life 2462 miles to get away from the cold and snow.
ReplyDeletePlease keep the pics coming and steer clear of the bicycles and icicles unless wearing that helmet Rachel so smartly recommended.
PS - I recommend you become besties with the Turkish girl in your row and visit her in Istanbul one day... my FAVORITE city!
Post 6.
ReplyDeleteKiller jacket. Is it brown? Are you waiting on Cris for Legos? Any plans to visit the Carlsberg brewery? Still no medals for the Danes. The Olympics have partially taken over my life..... US Hockey is rolling. Love you. Hi to Cris.
P.S.
Jim and I (and dates(yes Jim has a "steady"- dad asked "is she stupid or somethin'?") are going skiing next weekend in Colorado.
Post # Who Can Count That High?
ReplyDeleteAh, I am sorry to hear the big puffy won't make it back from Copenhagen, but perhaps it will be time to retire her in the near future. She's been good to you!
Have fun on your travels this weekend and send my love to cutie Mr. Perro.
I guess Rachel no longer remembers how to count to 6 :)
ReplyDeleteI've been in a winter sport haze the last week, which has impacted my lead but I'm going for gold.
Have a great time with Cris next week! If you post a pic of you and her in Denmark, please take my cherry bomber photo and photoshop it onto your Lego pic. If not, I'll feel sad knowing the SGs are taking on Europe without me. Love ya!
M- great talking to you the other day and when you can, email me more details on the job and move. I'm excited for you and yes, will try to manage a trip to Istanbul...want to revisit it with me?
ReplyDeleteJ- the jacket is classic black, I've had it since my first winter in NY and it's literally coming apart at the seams. No medals for the Danes, probably won't change. I've asked 2 Danes about interest levels in the Olympics and both confirmed there was no interest at all. However the neighboring countries are into it, who knows. As long as Laura and Cris are in, we have plans to go to the brewery this Saturday- yay! Will report back. LOVED dad's comment and I could see him (jokingly of course!) saying that for sure. 2 questions for you- how was skiiing? and how are you filling your free time post-Olympic games?
Rach! Big puffy has been good and has undoubtedly outlived her original peers! Weekend was great, thanks for well wishes and Perro is currently an inch from me...I'm sending your love. On another note, I thought of you while sitting in my Kierkegaard philosophy course, aka the "father of existentialism," and had outward giggles thinking about our I Heart Huckabees day at Russ's. I hope with this formal means, I can now work toward improving my conceptual understanding.
Ker- I will absolutely look for a physical pic that we can tote around with us so that you'll be there or photoshop you in! As always, you'll be traveling around with us anyway...traveling in our hearts. xo!
So what happened to everyone!?! Like Cris, I have been quietly following this back-and-forth banter, but I think now, its time I step in. Luckily, I'm fortunate enough to talk to you as often as I do, but, babe, we need another installment (obviously, when you have some free time from the work at hand). BTW - Even though I'm rather late, that's one. And though I'm not quite as eloquent in my posts as you all are, I'll be caught up in no time. Lastly, Otis and I want a pic on your blog, too. Hygge.
ReplyDeleteThat's right, ladies and gents, read em and weep! Latest, and, dare I repeat, greatest post. I know there's a question mark, but I asked, and it was confirmed. Eat it. Allie, you picked the perfect pick to represent me and the boy. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteI just realized that the order in which the last post was written, may appear, if read quickly, to tell Allie to eat it. Clearly, that's not the case. Sorry.
ReplyDeletePost 7. Great pics from Turkey. Seems like an enchanted place. The mosques are beautiful, and by the by thanks for the postcard. Hopefully Benhameen and Team MomDad will be getting over to see you in spite of what that Icelandic volcano is trying to do (can you believe the spelling on that guy?).
ReplyDeletePost 8
ReplyDeleteI too want to have a travel blog blog.
Mini-travel blog: I'm going to St. Louis for a course on the Oxford knee system (yes that's Oxford as in England) the end of this week and plan on going to the Anheuser-Busch brewery (that's the KING of beers). Next week I'm going to Chicago for a board review course. Two weeks after that Forrest and possibly Meverette and Robley are coming to the (world famous) Memphis BBQ Festival. Jim Long and some of his radiology buddies have hired a professional bbq chef/cook/master and will have a tent in the competition. BIG TIME!!!
I don't mean to rub it in. Your life seems cool too. Istanbul..... really?
And here I thought this blog had died- thanks J for confirming its REVIVAL! That's a fantastic line up of places, I'd love to join. I still haven't made it to Memphis in May and you should look up Dr. Sarah O when you go to Chicago. She was a fantastic tour guide when I went...Sar, are you on here? I trust you're a diligent reader of this blog...can you take J to a legit Chicago spot?
ReplyDeleteI hope Ben and M&D make it over too. They've slowly started flights into Copenhagen so I think it'll be just fine.
Enjoy your travels these next few weeks. I'll send you my info so you can be a guest blogger!
oh, and glad you got the postcard- that was quick!
ReplyDelete